Creamy, dreamy, and super familiar, this homemade Sour Cream and Onion Dip is far more delicious than anything you’d get out of a French Onion seasoning packet. Made with just 8 ingredients in less than 10 minutes of active time, this sour cream chip dip is a fan favorite that’ll earn you lots of admirers without any hassle!
Table of Contents
- Why We Love This Sour Cream Chip Dip
- How To Make Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- How To Serve
- Expert Tips
- More Classic Dips To Make
- Sour Cream and Onion Dip Recipe
Why We Love This Sour Cream Chip Dip
When it comes to party planning, I always like to have one killer chip-and-dip combo on hand. Tortilla chips pair beautifully with guacamole, queso, salsa, or my loaded corn dip. Pita chips practically beg to be dipped in garlic whipped feta or hummus.
But what about classic potato chips? While I’m a big fan of my caramelized onion dip recipe, I don’t always have the time or patience to caramelize onions, and I’m not big on seasoning packets that are loaded up with artificial ingredients. What’s a girl to do? Why, make this super easy Sour Cream and Onion Dip, of course! It is:
- Made with just 8 ingredients. All you need is a tub of sour cream and a smattering of pantry ingredients to make this crave-worthy chip dip, plus some fresh chives for a pop of pretty green.
- Quick & Easy. It’ll come together in just a few minutes, is perfect for making ahead of time, and is a superlative partner for your favorite potato chips.
- Crowd-Pleasing. I’ve never met a soul who doesn’t love the combo of sour cream and onions!
Ingredients For Sour Cream Chip Dip
- Sour Cream – For the best flavor and texture, opt for full-fat sour cream.
- Dried Minced Onion & Onion Powder – Add tons of oniony flavor with exactly zero tears!
- Dried Parsley Flakes – If you have fresh parsley on hand, feel free to use about ¼ cup in place of the dried flakes.
- Garlic Powder – If needed, swap in 2 fresh cloves of garlic minced finely.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce – If you only have regular soy sauce on hand, use just half the amount called for. You can also swap in tamari, coconut aminos, or Bragg’s liquid aminos if needed.
- Cracked Black Pepper – Freshly cracked pepper tastes much more potent than the pre-ground powder. Do yourself a favor and invest in a pepper grinder to make ALL your meals more flavorful.
- Fresh Chives – You can also use scallions, wild garlic, or minced shallots if you prefer.
How To Make Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Dip
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
Making this simple onion sour cream dip is a snap. Here’s how it’s done:
- Mix & Chill. Combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Cover tightly and chill for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
- Garnish & Enjoy! Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh chives. Serve with potato chips, crackers, or raw veggies.
Are Sour Cream & Onion Dip and French Onion Dip the same thing?
Yep! These terms are interchangeable, as is the name “California Dip.” That said, while many versions of this tasty dip are made with a packet of French Onion Soup mix, this particular recipe is actually vegetarian because there’s no beef bouillon added.
Who came up with the sour cream and onion combo?
While the original recipe for California dip called for a mixture of cream cheese, Roquefort cheese, and Sauternes wine, Lipton’s came on the scene in the early 1950s with a much-simplified 2-ingredient recipe that called for just sour cream and powdered soup mix.
How To Serve
While I could eat this sour cream onion dip straight from the bowl with a spoon (don’t judge!), there are plenty of vehicles to get this creamy deliciousness into your mouth:
- Serve with chips, crackers, or crudites. First and foremost, I think of this tasty concoction as a dip, which means you need something to dip in it! It tastes equally delicious with chips as it does with crunchy raw veggies. Pro Tip → Nest the bowl with the dip inside a larger bowl filled with ice water to keep it cool and fresh at summer gatherings!
- Use it as a spread on sandwiches. Give your subs a serious flavor upgrade by using French Onion Dip as an alternative to mayo. YUM!
- Use it as an alternative to sour cream for tacos, nachos, chili, and more. Since it’s primarily made with sour cream, feel free to use it as such!
While this simple homemade onion dip is pretty perfect as is, there are plenty of ways to customize it to your liking. Here are some easy variations to try:
- Healthier (Lite). If you’re trying to be a bit more virtuous, feel free to use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. You’ll add a nice probiotic and protein boost while cutting some fat and calories.
- Gluten-Free. If you’ve got a celiac on hand, be sure to swap in tamari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- Spicy. Add some heat by adding up to ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder.
Keep dip covered and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
Since there are no preservatives in this french onion dip recipe, be sure to use it within 4-7 days.
- Let the flavors meld. The hardest part about making sour cream and onion dip is easily the waiting. You’ll want to give it at least an hour in the fridge to allow the flavors to develop and the dried alliums time to rehydrate.
- Use full-fat dairy. While it might be tempting to make the dip “healthier” by using fat-free or low-fat sour cream, I don’t recommend it. Fat-free is particularly strange since it has stabilizers, thickeners, and other artificial ingredients added to it to give it the right texture and mouthfeel. If you want to make a lighter dip, sub in some or all of the sour cream with full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Make a spice mix. If you like eating sour cream dip on the regular, feel free to make your own blend for easy prep. When the urge strikes, simply add it to sour cream with soy sauce for a super speedy 3-ingredient recipe!
More Classic Dips To Make
- Cream Cheese Salsa Dip
- Avocado Dip
- Veggie Dip
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below.
Sour Cream and Onion Dip
Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Dip is better than anything from a packet. Just 8 ingredients and 10 minutes to make this sour cream chip dip!
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Total Time 10 minutes mins
Servings 10 servings
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives plus some for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Cover tightly and chill for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh chives.
Serve with potato chips, crackers, or raw veggies.
This recipe make about 2 ½ cups of dip. For a party, you should plan on ¼ cup per person.
Calories: 94kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 51mgPotassium: 80mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 313IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 51mgIron: 1mg
Keyword sour cream and onion dip, sour cream chip dip
Have you tried this recipe?
Let us know how it was by leaving a review or sharing on Instagram with the tag #yellowblissroad