Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Get It Now
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Table Of Contents show
Forget about boxed mixes and prepackaged pudding cups! This sugar free pudding will satisfy your cravings for a cool, creamy treat, all with real ingredients and super simple prep. I based this recipe on my keto chocolate pudding recipe, with a few swaps. And, keto vanilla pudding tastes as sweet and creamy as the conventional kind, with just a few minutes of hands-on time.
Why You’ll Love This Sugar Free Pudding Recipe
- Sweet vanilla flavor
- Rich, creamy, silky smooth texture
- Just 5 simple ingredients
- Less than 3g net carbohydrates
- Minutes to prepare
- Delicious dessert for the whole family!
Is Sugar Free Pudding Keto?
Some boxed sugar free puddings would technically be considereddirty ketobefore you prepare them, as they have about 5 grams carbs per serving. But they use artificial sweeteners and preservatives, so are not recommended for a clean keto way of eating. Plus, once you add the milk, the carbs will go up.
This homemade sugar free pudding is so simple to make, and you’ll know exactly what goes into it. The sweetener is the key ingredient that makes this sugar free vanilla pudding taste authentic. That’s why I used Wholesome Yum Keto Vanilla Syrup! It’s actually called a keto coffee syrup (and I use it in bulletproof coffee daily), but this time I wanted to show you how to use it as a liquid sweetener in recipes — it’s not just for coffee!
Not only does it measure and taste just like conventional liquid sweeteners, this syrup dissolves effortlessly into the pudding mix (for a smooth texture) and contains 0g net carbs. It’s perfect for everything from drinks to keto desserts!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for sugar free pudding, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Heavy Cream – Creates the creamy texture in this dessert. Full-fat coconut milk should also work for a dairy-free alternative. Avoid using any keto milk substitutes with a lower fat content (such as almond milk), as they won’t get as creamy and won’t set properly without additional gelatin.
- Wholesome Yum Keto Vanilla Syrup – Adds sweetness and natural, rich flavor of vanilla to this sugar free pudding recipe with absolutely no sugar and zero net carbs. If you have Wholesome Yum Keto Simple Syrup on hand, you can use that instead and add vanilla extract to taste (after removing from heat). I haven’t tried this recipe with a homemade sugar free simple syrup, which may be too thin. Unfortunately, I don’t recommend powdered or granulated keto sweeteners here, because the wet/dry ingredient ratio will be thrown off and would require additional testing, but you can make my keto chocolate pudding that doesn’t use a liquid sweetener.
- Egg Yolks – A keto cornstarch substitute that helps thicken the pudding.
- Unflavored Gelatin Powder – Helps stabilize and thicken the pudding as well. Some low carb pudding recipes thicken with xanthan gum, but gelatin is much more authentic and I haven’t tested any substitutions for this.
- Sea Salt – Balances the sweet flavor.
VARIATIONS: Make other flavors!
You can add 1-2 teaspoons of fruit flavor extract to make fruity flavors, or for sugar-free chocolate pudding, follow my keto chocolate pudding recipe here.
How To Make Sugar Free Pudding
This section shows how to make keto vanilla pudding, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Thicken cream. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream to a small bowl, then sprinkle gelatin powder on top. Whisk immediately and set aside to bloom. (It will look like the photo on the left below after it blooms for a few minutes.)
TIP: Sprinkle the gelatin — don’t dump!
Sprinkling helps the gelatin dissolve completely, which is important for a uniform pudding.
- Heat cream. Add more heavy cream to a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat, along with keto vanilla syrup and sea salt. Whisk and heat until the mixture is smooth and bubbling.(Do not boil or simmer; remove from heat once it bubbles briefly.)
- Temper. Transfer heated cream mixture to a bowl. Slowly pour in the egg yolks in a thin stream, whisking constantly. (Don’t this slowly ensures that the heat won’t scramble the egg.) This is called tempering.
- Thicken. Whisk bloomed gelatin into the egg yolk mixture.
- Cool and cover. Allow the homemade pudding mixture to cool for 10 minutes. Whisk again to remove any film, then cover with plastic wrap flush against the surface of the mixture, to prevent any additional film from forming.
- Refrigerate. Place in the refrigerator until firm.
- Whip. After the sugar free pudding sets, stir or whip with an electric mixture to make it more airy and to ensure the texture is smooth.
- Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container with plastic wrap on top (to prevent a skin forming) for up to 5-7 days.
- Freeze: Unlike many desserts made with heavy cream, sugar free pudding freezes well for up to 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and whip with a mixer to get back to the right consistency.
More Sugar Free Vanilla Dessert Recipes
If you love vanilla, don’t stop at sugar free pudding! Try these other delicious recipes next:
Sugar Free Pudding Recipe
4.91 from 11 votes
Sugar Free Pudding (4 Ingredients!)
A sugar free pudding recipe with a silky, creamy texture and rich vanilla flavor! It has just 4 ingredients and less than 3g net carbs.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Chill Time 4 hours
Total: 4 hours 20 minutes
Author: Maya Krampf from WholesomeYum.com
Servings: 4 (adjust to scale recipe)
Un-save Recipe Save Recipe Go Ad-Free
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Pour 1/3 cup heavy cream into a small bowl. Sprinkle (don't dump) the gelatin powder on top, and whisk together immediately. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-low, stir together the remaining heavy cream, vanilla syrup and sea salt. Heat, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and bubbling near the edges.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the egg yolks into the mixture while whisking constantly to temper.
Add the bloomed gelatin to the mixture and whisk until smooth and dissolved.
Let the pudding cool for about 10 minutes, until cooled enough not to melt plastic wrap to be placed over it. Whisk again to get rid of any film on top.
Cover with plastic wrap flush against the top to prevent a film from forming. Refrigerate for at minimum 4 hours, until firm.
After pudding has set, stir or whip with a hand mixer before serving, until pudding is light and airy.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Rate this recipe
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 3g
Net Carbs 2.9g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Keywords: keto vanilla pudding, sugar-free vanilla pudding
Calories: 376 kcal
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Is Sugar Free Pudding Keto? Some boxed sugar free puddings would technically be considered dirty keto before you prepare them, as they have about 5 grams carbs per serving. But they use artificial sweeteners and preservatives, so are not recommended for a clean keto way of eating.Is wholesome yum app free? ›
Ready to make a low carb lifestyle easy and delicious? Download the FREE Wholesome Yum app, with macro tracker and nearly 1000 recipes.Does wholesome yum have an app? ›
The Wholesome Yum app was created by Maya Krampf, founder of Wholesome Yum (the popular keto recipe website visited by millions) and author of the best-selling Easy Keto Cookbook and Easy Keto Carboholics' Cookbook. This app will make low carb living tasty, time-saving, and even family-friendly.Who owns wholesome Yum? ›
I'm Maya Krampf (pronounced Krahm-pf!), the founder of Wholesome Yum. I create easy healthy recipes that the whole family will love, as well as gluten-free keto recipes — all with 10 ingredients or less.Does sugar-free pudding spike insulin? ›
Sugar substitutes don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods." Free foods contain less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrates, and they don't count as calories or carbohydrates on a diabetes exchange.Can pre diabetics eat sugar-free pudding? ›
Try sugar-free gelatins and puddings
Unlike fruits, these dessert options offer no nutritional value. However, people can eat a small portion of sugar-free pudding or gelatin as a low-carb dessert without interfering with their blood sugar levels.
Try Plan to Eat, for free, for 14 days! No payment information required, so there's nothing to cancel if you decide we're not right for you. And one account gets you (and your family) access on all your devices. You can subscribe at the end of your free trial for $5.95 a month or $49 per year (4 months free).Can I get HelloFresh recipes for free? ›
HelloFresh has lots of free recipes in their Recipe Hub for you to create at home with no sign-up or subscription fee. They work in the same way as the cards you receive in their boxes, but you have access to the entire online catalogue at any given time and buy what you need when you need it.Is there a free app for meal planning? ›
Best Free Meal Planning App: Mealime
Recipe database. Grocery list creation. Ability to share plan and lists with others. Available on iOS and Android.
What is FoodSwitch? FoodSwitch gives you immediate, easy-to-understand information about packaged food products, as well as a list of similar foods that are healthier choices. You can access this through the app by scanning the product barcode using your smartphone camera.
Grubhub makes it easier to choose your next meal with restaurant ratings and reviews. French fries, pizza, burritos, burgers, sushi, donuts—it's all here, whenever a craving strikes. Think beyond your breakfast, lunch, and dinner orders.What is Yum app? ›
Yum is all about making food easy, fun, and very fast. Get Step-By-Step instructions on how to cook every single recipe. We help you to cook traditional and instant recipes, with simple ingredients readily available in your kitchen. We have recipes for every social occasion you're in the mood for!Is wholesome pantry really organic? ›
This thoughtful brand makes nutritious, wholesome and USDA Certified Organic goods more accessible for everyone. So families can stock their pantry, fridge and freezer with food that helps them live happier, healthier lives.Who is Wholesome Sweeteners owned by? ›
Whole Earth Brands acquires Wholesome Sweeteners in $180m deal. Whole Earth Brands (parent company to Equal and Pure Via sweetener brands) has entered a definitive agreement to acquire Wholesome Sweeteners, the No. 1 organic sweetener brand by share in the organic and natural channel.Who owns wholesome sugar? ›
Whole Earth Brands, Inc. has acquired all issued and outstanding capital stock of WSO Investments, Inc., the holding company for Wholesome Sweeteners Incorporated. The transaction, expected to close in the first quarter of 2021, has been unanimously approved by Whole Earth Brands' and Wholesome's Boards of Directors.Is sugar free snack pack pudding keto friendly? ›
Snack Pack Sugar-Free Chocolate Pudding Cups, Keto Friendly, 4 Count, 12 Pack.Is sugar free Jell-O pudding keto friendly? ›
Too Much Carbs!
Jell-O Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Mix should be avoided on keto because it is very high in net carbs (65g of net carbs per 100g serving). It is important to limit your net carb consumption to 20g - 30g per day to stay in ketosis.
The good news is sugar free Jello pudding is low carb and only 10 calories a serving. With that said, sugar free Jello is not keto-friendly in a strict sense because it has artificial sugars. These could kick you out of ketosis.Can I eat sugar free Jello pudding on keto? ›
The bad news is that eating sugar free jello will kick you out of ketosis. Since most sugar free jello contains maltodextrin. Maltodextrin has a glycemic index higher than natural sugar so eating anything with it will spike your blood sugar levels quickly.